*Mason had his last soccer game and party...
*Mason learned to ride his bike! FINALLY...not because he is slow, but because we live on a busy street and haven't taken the time to stop making excuses and teach him!!! Sad, I know! Once we finally taught him he learned in less than an hour!
Little Speedster
*Mother's Day, of course...
*But by far the highlight of our weekend was a TEA PARTY!!! My "Best Friend from High School, Jill" as she has affectionately been named, not only invited us to her daughter's 4th birthday party, she asked me to help decorate for it! That has meant so much to me! And here is why...
(bare with me...this is another long, detailed story that I want documented for Mason)
In the post "The Way God Works" I mentioned I have had one surprising experience "cheered" on by God. Really I think there have been two. Jill, really is so much more than my "friend from high school." We figured out we really have known each other and gone to school together since kindergarten. I really remember our friendship beginning in 3rd grade. We were inseparable from 3rd grade through high school. She lived two streets behind me and we did everything together. Then we went to college and things changed. We had different friends, different lives, and boyfriends. A wedge grew between us and our friendship quickly became one of congeniality. Sometimes it wasn't even that...sometimes we were downright rude to each other. Our relationship changed so much that we weren't in each other's weddings. Although we did both go to the others. We both went to visit when the other had a baby and we were nice to each other, but no one would have ever guessed that this girl had been my very best year for 10 years. I don't think either of us thought much about the "loss" of each other. We never took time to go to lunch or really be friends. I think we thought it was just what happened when you went off to college and life changed.
Then Mason got sick. He was 5 weeks old. And he woke up with 102 fever. As a new mom, I thought he was dying. And the doctors didn't really help convince me otherwise. We took him to the urgent care center where they ran a blood test, a urinalysis, a chest x-ray and a spinal tap. All his tests came back "negative" except his blood test which wasn't showing what it should. So the doctor informed me that they were going to start him on an IV and send him to the Children's Hospital. In my state of shock, I said, "How am I going to get him to the hospital with an IV in his arm?" The doctor said, "Oh honey, the ambulance, is on its way." So, while we waited for the ambulance I sang "You Are My Sunshine" in the ear of my precious newborn while 4 strangers raced to see who would be the first to get an IV started in one of his limbs. And I thought about what it would be like if he was only ours for 5 short weeks.
The ambulance came, they strapped his tiny body to a stretcher and told me I had to sit in the front. (Ryan was driving our car and making the necessary phone calls.) As we walked out the doors to the ambulance bay, a mom and her child were standing outside waiting their turn to be seen by the doctor. She grabbed my hand and said, "Can I pray for you?" I was in total shock at this point and mumbled, "sure." She said "What is his name?" I said, "Mason." She prayed a sweet prayer of healing for Mason and peace for me. And I got in the ambulance. As we were driving away for a split second I thought that maybe I knew that girl...then I let it go.
We arrived at the hospital where a team of doctors were waiting at the doors for us. That should be a comforting thing...not so much. It is terrifying. I thought, there must be something really wrong if they are waiting for us. They take Mason into the ER and immediately began "working" on him. A lady came over to me, put her arm around me, introduced herself and said, "I am the Family Life Advocate. I am here for you. Is there anything I can do for you? Would you like a coke, some coffee?" I (rudely...remember I am in shock) say, "I need you to tell me if my son is going to die." She says, "Oh honey, you are in a good place, with good doctors, they are doing the very best for your son." (Notice the absence of the word NO!) My response was as nicely as I could, "Then I don't need you." In my mind, she was like having the chaplain in the room and I did not want that. Anyway, after the doctors had him hooked up to monitors and antibiotics and whatever else he was hooked up to and he was sleeping (which was what he did through most of this fiasco), Ryan made me pull myself together and go talk to my family. While I was in the family room, the phone rang. My sister-in-law answered the phone. She looked at me puzzled and said, "Its Jill." "Jill who?" Jill ____" she said. Remember, Jill and I haven't spoken in several months other than the congenial visit when we had our babies. When I said hello, the first thing Jill said was, "Is Mason okay?" I said, "How did you know?" She said, "That was Julie ___ from high school that prayed for you. She called Jodi (Julie's cousin and another friend of ours from high school) and said I think your friend's baby is sick, does she have a baby named Mason? Jodi called me to check. I called the hospital to track you down. Is he okay?"
From that moment on we have been great friends again...and even better our girls are friends!! Jill and her mom were two of a few people that were constant encouragement to me while we were in school especially the first two years while we were far from any family. I have laughed and said that I am sure God could have thought of a much better and less stressful way to bring us back together other than making Mason sick, but I am so grateful for the gift of friendship that the experience has given not only me and Jill but also Kendall and Ella!
By the way...they never figured out what was wrong with Mason. They kept him 3 days and then declared it a "virus." A very stressful virus!
A few pictures of our girly Tea Party...
Each little girl had a hat to decorate with flowers, a purse,
gloves and a feather boa.
(Kendall has loved her hat! Great idea, Jill)
little girly pink part of it!

4 comments:
Way to go Mason! I remember when I learned to ride my bike, sounds like you are ready for 1st grade!
YEA for Mason! I remember loving my bike when I was little!!!
And YEA for great friends! I remember you telling me that story about you and Jill a while back. I'm SOOOO glad that yall are great friends again! And how fun to see your girls be great friends! :)
...we need to do lunch soon! I'd love to see ya again!
I think back to that day a lot actually. I remember it exactly. Amazing how I got in touch with Jill, there is no way I had her phone number on hand...so that was a total God thing that I somehow found her!! (AND, I had no idea that you guys weren't close at the time.) Amazing how He brought you guys back together. Amazing how Julie just happened to be right there, and remembered that you and I had a connection. Amazing. Just goes to show how you never know what your little acts of faith can do for somebody.
Somehow I missed your other "The Way God Works" post from March. Holy cow, I just sat here and CRIED reading that. Amazing all the way around. God is so great. How in the world do people not believe He is alive and working in our lives today!?!?!
Amazing. Do you think I used that word enough?!? :) Love you!
Oh Jennifer, I feel more than blessed to be a very small part of God's fun plan. Thank you for sharing because I had NO IDEA. I remember that day too. I too was waiting with my sick little boy and I remember seeing you crying and that little tiny baby on that very big stretcher. All I could think was that you needed to know that I would be praying for him and I wanted to know his name so that I could pray specifcally for Mason.
Then you turned to look at me and in that instant I knew that I knew you. Jennifer? Bell High School? Jodi's church? It was all piecing together and I called Jodi right away and you know the rest.
Thank you for sharing that story. It just reminds me to listen to that little voice and follow it. God's plans are big and fun and wonderful and He is so good to His children. Bless you today and bless happy, healthy Mason!
Post a Comment