Saturday, May 10, 2008

Not on the List

So, I realize I have not completed my "To Blog List." But, something more important has put itself on the top of the list.

My sweet baby girl broke her arm...almost 3 WEEKS AGO. I know you are thinking, "Wow, she really is behind on blogging" Nope...I am behind on taking her to the doctor to have her broken arm looked at...Now, Before any of you runs to get the "Mother of the Year" award from your best friend (I know none of you actually possess it) and mail it to me, you should hear the whole story. 3 weeks ago we were leaving the gym (if I hadn't been there in the first place, this would have never happened...) and Kendall fell. She cried hard, but I did the "good mommy thing" and checked to see if it was broken, kissed it and LOVINGLY told her she was fine. By the time we got to soccer practice (for Mason) she was guarding it, but not crying and acting "unbroken." Ryan checked on her that night and gave her some Motrin (she said, "My arm is hurting me") She was fine the next day. Over the next few days we would OCCASIONALLY have the following conversation (usually when changing clothes or getting in the car seat)
K: My arm is hurting me.
Me: I am so sorry.
K: Kiss it.
Me: mmmmmmmmmM
K: That is better!

Then she would say nothing for a couple of days. I should also note that she did fall on it several times since the initial fall and yet there were no huge red flags waving that said "Hey Mom, My arm is broken!" Well, last night she fell again and really cried hard (for about 5 minutes) and when Ryan "examined" it, thought it might actually be broken. Well, thinking that was the craziest thing we had ever thought of to have a 2 year old with a broken bone and her not be hysterical or have bones protruding from her forearm...we put her to bed. This morning Ryan went to work and the 3 of us went to Mason's soccer game. I took her to the Children's Urgent Care when they opened and after an x-ray it was confirmed that regardless of the fact that she has NOT been crying hysterically for the last 3 weeks, done NOT have bones protruding from her foreman, and HAS been using her arm normally, she does indeed have an arm with not 1, but 2 broken bones! Now, you can call your best friend.

In between the stress of the day some sweet things did occur...
1. I witnessed the beauty of having wonderful friends and family close to rescue you when rescuing is needing (I have had times in my life when that has not always been true) Thanks to all of you who babysat, called, and brought special gifts (like Sonic because for whatever reason that does cure everything, except maybe the actual broken arm),! What a blessing!!!!

2. The men putting her in the temporary cast had the following conversation (as though we were not in the room)

Man #1: It is too bad we don't have a pink bandage.
Man #2: (Sigh) But, we do have pink tape.
Man #1: And purple too!
Man #2: We can do pink and purple stripes!
And they did!!! So cute!

3. When the news was "broken" to us(HA HA)...I broke down in tears and my sweet broken arm daughter said "Here mommy, have a boot (fruit) snack, it will make you beel (feel) better."

4. I have decided that if she can walk around with a broken arm for almost 3 weeks, she will NOT need to fork out the extra money for an epidural.

5. Apparently, if you have a nervous breakdown in the urgent care center the staff does not need to "question" whether or not you did this to your child on purpose.
6. We ended our night with a "Celebration of New Life" when we found 4 ducks in our pool fighting over 1 duck and then we realized what the prize was for the winner. (lucky for you the pictures did not turn out)

So, for now we will be making an appointment on Monday with an orthopedic doctor to get a "permanent" cast. Please pray that the "healing" that has occurred over the last 3 will work in our favor and we will have to spend as little time as possible in the cast. (Swim lessons start 6 weeks from Monday) . Most importantly pray that the Dr. will not have to do surgery or "re-break" her arm!






6 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh, Jen! I am so sorry. I hope that she heals fast. She must be a tough girl to go that long with a broken arm. And hey, we have all been there with accidents like this. That is what makes them accidents, just random things that happen. Take Care!

christy said...

Jennifer,
Poor thing! (and poor Kendall, too!) he,he I know you are way more torn up about it than she is. It's so hard to see something 'wrong' with your baby. Thankfully, she will probaby think it's FUN to wear her cast and it'll be healed up soon. And you still get best mother of the year award - don't worry! (her cast if really cute!) and happy mother's day to you!

Being a Star said...

I saw her this morning she was cute and I just know that marissa will have the same thing. She falls alot its seems..Happy Mothers day!!

Ami said...

Oh, poor Kendall K! The good news is that 2 year olds typically heal quickly. Garrett did. I know of a good orthopedist!

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness! :) bless her heart...and yours! kids are tough aren't they!? try not to feel too bad, if it was really really hurting her badly, she would have told you.

love the pink and purple tape! :) i bet she thinks it's cool!

Anonymous said...

We still have the present that Maddie picked out for her. I need to bring that by...I'll give you a call. When I had to take TyTy to the ER for his burn last year, I cried more than he did. Kids are amazing. We love sweet Kendall!!