Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lucky "Duck"

Mason (I guess, technically I) was chosen as the lucky student to bring home, Annabelle, the class pet for spring break!!! If you remember from the first week of school, Annabelle is the running turtle. Well, I have yet to see her run, but she is quite fascinating. So far her greatest benefit for us has been that the kids wanted to go see HER this morning instead of us...a few extra minutes of sleep for us! When I went to pick up Annabelle after school and get her instructions and diet (which consists of water, lettuce, fruit and an occasional hot dog...I hope Sonic runs the chili cheese dog special this week!) Mrs. LeBreton informed me of 2 "small" issues. The first being that while she does like to come out of her "cage" (a rubbermaid tote) to "play" (this must be when she runs), she has a slight problem with incontinence. Hmmmmmm??? Can any amount of incontinence really be a small problem? If it were me, any problem with that would be a big problem. But, I am not a turtle...maybe it is different for them. The other small problem has to do with Annabelle trying to climb out of her "cage." Some of you are thinking that a turtle escapee would be a big problem. Not compared to what I am about to say...Frankly, I would welcome wondering where a running turtle had wondered off to. (I would of course check the bathroom first). Mrs. LeBreton said that she was a little concerned about Annabelle's need to escape and had talked to the science teacher about it. The science teacher said it could be one of two things. #1. She was bored. #2. It could possibly be a sign that she is coming to the end of her life!!!!! OH MY WORD!!!! Okay, I am pretty sure those two small issues should have been in the fine print of the "Is anyone interested in watching Annabelle over Spring Break?" email. That would have definitely been something to think about before sending the "we would love to have Annabelle" reply. So now as I drive around town I am scoping out the pet stores that I may be visiting holding a turle saying "I need one that looks like this, but moves. Oh, and it needs to be able to run, too"



So, while you are enjoying your Spring Break do two things...



#1 PRAY!

#2 Be thinking about how to tell 21 kindergartners that their class pet came to the end of her life, but it wasn't my fault!



I'll keep you posted and if you are lucky, I'll post video of Annabelle running!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Good luck with Annabelle! I hope she lives to see Porter Monday morning.
I have had Mason's bday present for several weeks, glad he got to have a sleepover. I talked H out of it for the last bday party but doubt I can for the next one.