Monday, January 4, 2010

Time for a FIESTA!!!!


So tonight is the Fiesta Bowl in which Texas Christian University and Boise State University will battle for the title of Fiesta Bowl Champion of whatever division they are in. If you know me, and even if you don't based on the previous sentence, you know that I do not have a lot of football knowledge. Honestly, I NEVER watch football on tv...unless there is a reason to.
Tonight there is a reason.
Texas is playing Idaho. Some of you are surprised that Idaho even has a college, much less a football team. But they do and, I might add, it is a pretty good team. I know this because the last time I watched a football game, Boise State beat Oklahoma in 2007. They won it with what I have heard was a "trick play" (so TCU better be watching for those.)
For a while now, I've been faced with a dilemma...which team am I rooting for? I thought maybe the boys could go for BSU and the girls could go for TCU (we look better in purple anyway). But, something about that still didn't feel right. Thus I developed the following Pro/Con List...
BSU
Pros/Cons
*Lived in Boise for a while/But don't now
*Husband and In-laws LOVE BSU/NONE of them went to school there
*When BSU won in 2007 it was really fun to watch the entire city and surrounding area "live like they won the Superbowl"/Maybe Boise needs to find something else to do
*2 out of 4 family members in my house were born in Idaho/The other 2 were born in Texas
TCU
Pros/Cons
*Lived in Texas all my life except for the few years I lived in Boise/Refer to BSU Con #1
*Actually know a few friends that went to TCU/Can't think of any alum from BSU that I know personally whose feelings I would be hurting if I cheered for my own state's team instead of theirs
*May consider sending my children to TCU someday if I ever allow them actually leave home/Sending my children to BSU would mean moving BACK to Idaho and as much as I love and miss the in-laws...it is TOO COLD for my TEXAS blood
*Cheering for the Frogs insures a little friendly competition...which is about the only thing that
makes football exciting for me/I could quite possibly be sleeping alone tonight
*2 out of 4 family members in my house were born in Texas/The other 2 were born somewhere else
*So I decided to compromise and live in a divided household. I will let both kids (even the Texas one) cheer with their dad. But I have to be true to ME...once a Texan, always a Texan...so...
GO FROGS!!!!!
However, I would like 2 things stated for the record PRIOR to kickoff...
1. IF Boise wins...I WILL be happy for them and if they lose I will be SAD for them (which may mean I am secretly rooting for them). More for the entire state of Idaho than the school...I've lived there...it was fun to have something exciting to talk about for a few days. I kind of want that for them again.
2. There has been a lot of trash talk down here about TCU wanting to play a "real school" (which frankly just isn't nice). In the event that TCU loses to BSU I NEVER ONCE EVER said BSU was not a real school. I have always defended them and told those Frogs they better be careful or they are going to feel really stupid if they get beat by an "unreal" school.
So may the best team win!!!!
GO FROGS (and Broncos!)

5 comments:

Kristen OQ said...

You cracked me up with this post! Hope at BSU wins tonight? or maybe the Frogs? ;)

Tracy said...

GO FROGS!!!!! :) Bryson and I both are wearing our purple today! :)

Jodi said...

Hilarious! I often think of you and your wealth of football knowledge! :) Since you were happy for BSU if they won and SAD if they lost, then it was a good day for everyone. But, kinda ironic about TCU, don't you think, with the whole "real school" thing?? That'll teach 'em...

Jenn said...

You need to update your blog!!
Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I love to see pictures and hear stories about the kids but you need to post again before they leave home.

Idaho