Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here we go again...

As is the case for most schools in Texas, tomorrow is the 1st Day of School! All over the state, parents are jumping for joy, that the fighting between siblings, the "what are we going to do fun today," and the endless hours of "entertain me" have come to an end. I am part of that crowd.



But, I know when I walk up stairs at the conclusion of this post to tuck Mason in and cover him up, there will be a lump in my throat and probably a tear in my eye. Why? Because I want him to stay home??? NO WAY!!! But, because he continues to grow too quickly! And yet, he is still my little boy. The last few weeks he has had a BAD case of separation anxiety! So much so that I am ready to pull my hair out. (More on that later). So, why I have felt close to tears all day? I've tried blaming it on all sorts of things...tiredness, allegies, busyness, etc. Well, I finally came to terms with the real reason tonight...actually Mason did...



When I tucked him in bed and was reminding him of the Rules of School that we learned last year (see The Gift), he said, "Mom, I need someone to walk me to my class? Who is going to do that"

Shocked, I said, "Well, I will! It is the first day of school silly boy!!!"

He let out a breath of relief and said, "Oh good! 'Cause you know I'm not in the first hall right by the (front) door anymore and I don't know if I remember where my classroom is."

And there you have it, friends...the reason for my the lump in my throat and the tears...he is in the 2nd hall...WITH THE 3RD GRADERS!!!! And I thought Kindergarten was a big deal...now he is really ALL THE WAY inside the school. I mean really, shouldn't they have put the 1st graders right next door to the Kindergarteners????

I guess I should head to bed...we have to get up earlier than last year...it is a long walk to the 2nd hall, you know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that sweet LITTLE boy (even if he did ignore me in the hot dog line)! They are growing so fast, but are still so little in so many ways. I hope your morning went great.

Deanna said...

The good news is that 3rd graders are still little too - at least I'm trying to keep mine that way! Just wait until you have a 5th grader in the farthest room from the front door. That would have been much harder for me if I wasn't soooo ready for him to go back to school and give me some quiet time!