Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I Can't Sleep

It is 1:57 and I can't sleep. So, here I am blogging and hoping that "writing" my feelings will help me clear my head so I can sleep instead of count. I have figured out it is 1 week, 2 days and 16 1/2 hours until Meet the Teacher. 1 week, 2 days and 16 1/2 hours until we meet the new #1 lady in my sweet baby boy's life. 1 week, 2 days, and 16 1/2 hours until our lives change in an instant. And then a short 2 days and 13 1/2 hours until a woman I will have met once becomes the lady my son is with more hours a day than me, the one he will ask for help, the one he will go to when he is hurt or sad. That will also be the day he begins choosing his own friends...friends whose moms and dads I don't know, friends I didn't "pick' for him. I can't quite wrap my brain around that (and I certainly can't wrap my brain around the fact that we will be getting up approximately 4 hours earlier than we normally do!). And yet, I wouldn't have it any other way (except of course if school could start at say, 9:00). I know that he will do great! He will LOVE going to school and he will be LOVED. I am so proud of the boy he is! He is funny, sensitive, and sweet (of course only when he wants to be). Yes, there are days when he wears me out and there have been days (even recently) where I think kindergarten can't come soon enough, but now, I find myself wondering how Kendall and I will fill our days while he is gone. (Don't tell Ryan that, though.) In the recent days, I have prayed more...I have cried more...I have thanked God for him more often...I have snuggled him more and I have just plain watched him more.

So, I am not feeling any sleepier from this little "cry/blog fest" so I will stop boring you all with my emotions. So, for you "seasoned mothers" out there, take a minute and pray for all us new "kindergarten mommies," especially those of us doing it the first time and those of us that may be doing it for the last time. And for you mommies, who think Kindergarten is a million years away, hold your precious babies a little tighter and a little longer this week and be sure you don't blink, because before you know it you will be me...(scary thought, huh? Unless you are thinking you wish you could sleep in until 10 everyday!)

I guess I'll try to sleep again...maybe I will watch Jon and Kate plus 8...somehow that show always has a way of exhausting me!

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow. You made me cry :)

I can only imagine how you feel right now. I actually thought about the "kindergarten mommies" earlier today and told myself that my time will be here too soon! They grow so fast!!!! Keep hugging on him!! :) I'll be thinking of you in a couple of weeks!!!

Kristen OQ said...

I have tears too because you captured exactly what I have been feeling this week. I remember when I taught Kindergarten myself wondering why of those moms had such a hard time. Now I understand...

We have meet the teacher night on the 21st and 1st day is the 25th. I will say a prayer for you too when I pray for myself to handle this gracefully! ;)

Anonymous said...

Aw man...I feel the exact same way but have been trying not to think about it too much so I don't get too sad. Thanks a lot for bringing it up and making me sad all over again! Let's plan on getting together at least one day that first week so we can be pathetic together!!

Cortney said...

Oh, Jennifer! I know exactly how you feel! My heart has been a little achy lately, and it's just because these 5 years have flown by and I'm just gonna plain 'ol miss my little booger!

I like what Kristen said, we need to pray to handle this "gracefully"; I hope I'm not a blubbering fool come next Monday morning!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Crying here!!!

You need to print this out and put it in his scrapbook.

And you're right...he will be LOVED!

Jenn said...

You don't have to worry....we've got ya...I say, coffee right after we all drop off our kids for another cry fest with our friends!!
I know you will do great and Mason will have a blast in school...just don't think about Kendall going yet...that WILL make you cry! Okay, not helping, am I ?
Hope ya'll are having a blast!
See ya next week!

Jodi said...

Man, that just made me cry! I know that it will seem like an INSTANT before I am doing the same thing! Ugh. They just grow too darn fast... hang in there girl!