Friday, January 25, 2008

She's doing it on purpose...

This is a post I wrote before Christmas and never posted so I thought I would share...

I honestly believe Kendall knows how important it is to me that she be a "girly girl" and like any sweet girl with an attitude, she intends to prove that she doesn't conform. Is this the beginning of her teenage years at age 2? I know there are a lot bigger problems in the world, than having a tomboy, but for those of you that know me well, you know there isn't a "tomboy" bone in my body, so I don't really know how to relate...anyway...after a trip to the doctor (for me) the nurse offered Kendall a basket of stickers and told her she could pick out a few. She, of course, picked out Cars and Spiderman. The nurse, apparently seeing the disappointment on my face, offered her a Cinderella and Snow White Sticker. She took them graciously (she's not one to turn down stickers). So, I am feeling a little better that she is at least getting a little "Princess" exposure, and I also feel a little guilty because I realize she has no idea who those Princesses are and I have no one except myself (and the Dave Ramsey envelope system) to blame for that. We get to the school to pick up Mason and she lets me know that she is going to share with Mason. Feeling totally relieved, I say "oh how sweet, Brother will love that. Which one will you give him?" And, I know you all see this coming, she looks through them and announces, that she would be happy to give up "Ella" for him. Luckily, he didn't want it. Poor Cinderella! Guess what just got added to Kendall's Christmas List?

As an update...Kendall DID get Cinderella for Christmas and it is amazing how that one simple movie has changed her life! HA! I do feel like she is truly a privileged child now that she knows about Cinderella. (In order to not be accused of lying by omission...I must say that Mason, too, enjoys the story of Cinderella) Thanks to Annie in China (where DVD are apparently dirt cheap) , we now have several princess movies (complete with Chinese subtitles). I had no idea our video library was so sexist. Again, Mason is not feeling any hostility at having to watch these girly movies. He has, however, figured out that in order to be PC he must make it look as though he were being nothing more than a sweet and loving big brother when he says, "Hey mom, I think Kendall weawy wants to see the Wittle Mewmaid!" Ihaven't told him he should try remembering to wait until she is up from her nap before using this technique...

4 comments:

Ami said...

We know all about dirt-cheap DVDs from China. We ordered a pack of 20-something a couple years ago for something like $20! You do have to get past the Chinese menu, but English is provided as one of the dubbed languages. But sometimes we'll start the movie in Chinese to see if the boys notice. :) Hope the stomach bug clears up soon!

Emily said...

That is a cute story.

Tracy said...

how funny. she probably likes Cars and Spiderman b/c she knows that brother likes them. Atleast Cinderella has made an appearance at your house now :)

And we love China DVDs! My dad worked over there for about 4 years and he'd bring home movies that were still in the movie theatres...for $1! gotta love it!

Whitney said...

Cute story! Thanks for sharing!