I like to win...sports, games, arguments, whatever...I know this is not one of my best qualities, but the way I see it, God made me that way and if someone has to be right it just as well be me.
Well, I have met my match. Let me say, the Olympians who will NOT recieve a medal in Beijing have nothing on me...I am losing to a 2 YEAR OLD! I have been seeing it coming and while living in complete denial, I have tried to up my game. I thought my strategies were improving when I figured out giving her a "choice" helps me win in the long run. (i.e. when potty training: "Do you want to potty? NO! became, "Which potty do you want to use? At bedtime: do you want the door open or closed? OPEN! Okay, then no crying. " This simple change in questioning brought compliance and a "gold" medal for me. At least for a while...I should have seen a change coming when all of a sudden she decided she didn't want the door open, she wanted it closed ALL THE WAY. Now what will I do to keep her from crying? We haven't gotten that far yet, but I know it is coming. Well, I watched my gold medal slip slowly and quietly from my hands into the tiny precious hands of my curly top little angel today with the following conversation...
Me: Okay, you need to get a quick nap so we can go to the gym.
K: (Crying)
Me: If you stop crying you can have one book.
K: (crying and inaudible whining)
Me: What are you crying about?
K: I want a girl book?
(How do you know a book's gender?)
Me: Fine, here, but if you cry I am going to take it away.
K: (crying)
Me: (take the book away)
K: (crying)
Me: (take the other book away and then decide I have one final attempt at grabbing the gold, so, frustrated, I say...) Listen, it is time for you to take a nap and you need to stop crying or you are going to get a spanking. I am going to go downstairs and if you are still crying when I come back up you are getting a spanking. If you are quiet, then I won't spank you. (The whole time I am talking, she is crying and mumbling with her fingers pinched together near her face. I can tell she is saying "a little one")
Me: A little what?
K: Just a little spanking
Me: You want a little spanking?
K: Yes
Me: Okay, I'll go get the spoon. (thinking the fear will cause her to quit crying, I slowly go down to get it and return to a still crying child)
Me: Okay, here is the spoon, do you still want a spanking or do you want to stop crying.
K: A little one
Me: Okay???
(I move the blanket to spank her leg and instead of covering her leg to break the blow the little stinker turns over and sticks her hip up so I can get a better shot!)
Me: (She is still crying...) Did you like that little spanking? Are you ready to stop crying or do you want another spanking?
My precious angel nods yes and turns her hip back for one more shot!
After one more spanking, she finally conceeds to no more spankings....
Oh. My. Word.
What will I do when she is 16?
The really important question...who won that battle?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, you have your hands full with that girl! Great story!!
Wow. No idea the winner. Seriously, asking for a spanking?!?! Amazing. I have a feeling I am in for similar battles, so once you have it ALL figured out, let me know. :) I too have quite the strong willed little squirt!
Seth tells me that all the time...I say, "Seth if you do that again you are going to go to time out (or get a spanking, etc.)" His reply, "That's okay Mommy. I like to go to time out (or get a spanking, etc.).
What will we do with these 2nd children?!?!
Sounds like something Rylee would do!!
Post a Comment